Achilleon Palace was built between the years 1890 and 1892 by the Empress Elizabeth of Austria (known as Sissy) in the hilltop village of Gastouri. This large building, in neoclassical style, has three floors adorned with many statues and paintings.
The gardens surrounding the building run down to the coast road and offer a wonderful view of a large part of the island. They are filled with many statues, the most famous of which are two bronze runners, the dying Achilles and the statue of Achilles Triumphant.
After the assassination of Empress Elizabeth in 1898 in Geneva, Kaiser Wilhelm II of Germany purchased the palace in 1907 and used it as a place for relaxation. All of the rooms contain personal items of the former owners and their original furniture.